Friday, January 13, 2012

History is amazing. :)

Alexander & I have been watching documentaries. The most recent one was called, "When We Left Earth: The  NASA Missions." So, me being me I like to know more about the people they talk about. I do this with everything! Movies, T.V shows, books & what have you. Anyways, I looked up John Glenn who was the first man to enter space in the United States. From there I wondered what happened today in history, especially it being Friday the thirteenth. So expand your knowledge and read on!

1559: Elizabeth I Crowned queen of England in Westminster Abbey.

1610: Galileo Galilei discovers Callisto, 4th satellite of Jupiter.

1794: Congress changes U.S to 15 stars & 15 stripes.

1908: French pilot Henry Farman is first European to fly round trip.

1927: U.S & Mexico battle over oil interest.

1930: "Mickey Mouse" comic strip first appears.

1942: Henry Ford patents a method of constructing plastic auto bodies.

1943: Hitler declares "Total War."

1966: U.S performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.

1969: Beatles release "Yellow Submarine" album.

1979: YMCA files libel suit against Village People's YMCA song.

1985: Cerebral palsy telethon raises $17,1000,000.

1987: 7 top New York mafia bosses sentenced to 100 years in prison each.

1992: U.S serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer pleads guilty but insane.

Now lets look at some that occured on my birthday! If you don't feel like reading on ( you might not even be with me anymore) you may leave. I understand. But I enjoy history & expanding my knowledge & hope to help others to do the same! Plus, little facts are fun to share!

I may comment on these events. They did happen on the day of my birth! Although, most were before I was here but I'm allowed to have an opinion right?

685: John V begins his reign as Catholic Pope.   (YAY!)


1298: Jews are massacred in Wurzburg Germany. (Not a good event but important history..) 


1726: Benjamin Franklin sails back to Philadelphia. (I like him too, but Abe's my fave.) 


1798: Napoleon captures Alexandria, Egypt. (One day, I want to visit there.) 


1827: First U.S swim school opens ( Boston, Massachusetts.) (Fact: i took classes at the YMCA) 


1829: William Austin Burt patents "typographer" (typewriter.) (I love my typewriter!)  


1840: Union Act passed by British Parliament, uniting Upper & Lower Canada. (Went there in Kindergarten) 


1877: First U.S municipal railroad railroad, Cincinnati Southern, begin operations. (Choo! Choo!) 

1880: First commercial hydroelectric power plant begin, Grand Rapid, MI. (Woo, I live in MI.) 


1903: Ford Motor sells first Model A Car. ( I have a Dodge, but Ford is a good company!) 


Are you still reading? Yes? Well then I love you! :D

1904: Ice cream cone created by Charles E Menches during La Purchase Expo. (I LOVE chocolate ones!)


1940: "Blitz" all-night air raid by German bombers on London begins. (My bf&I are WWII fanatics.) 


1942: Hitler's Directive #45: order to occupy Stalingrad. (Watch WWII in HD on Discovery Channel.) 


1960: 15th U.S Women's Open Golf Championship won by Betsy Rawls. (Look for photo at end.) 


1965: Beatles "Help" is released in UK. (I love the Beatles! Listen to the song, "Number 9.") 


1967: 43 die in race riot in Detroit. (Learn more here or here. It's an amazing story. &it ties to my history, my grandmother-in-laws father owned a blind pig. Just shows how different things where back then.) 





Isn't she cute!

I found all this information on www.brainyhistory.com !

No comments:

Post a Comment